Monday, February 28, 2011

A place in my head...

I know you're sat in front of a computer screen and I know you can read these words.


Walk with me a little in companionship. Perhaps feel my arm around you, your arm around me. Look ahead and share with me what I see as I raise my arm and point. There's a glade over there, a few jumbled rocky hillocks one almost looks like a cottage; trees (Ash and elm and the occasional oak) to the left of us and green meadow fields in front of us. To our right is a cliff to the sea. You can hear the waves crashing against the rocks below, not an intruding noise more relaxing with the ebb and flow. Sometimes I sit and watch those waves for hours. Daft isn't it?

This place is special to me. It's always peaceful here... never seems to rain... the smell of rosemary and lavender lingers in the air. Other herbs too. There's a freshness and a peace. Sometimes I'm here alone, sometimes I'm with company. Like now. Occasionally I'm with loved ones who've left me, and we talk a little. Like you and I are now. I come here to think, to put peace into my soul, to visit with old friends. It's a beautiful place I hope you agree. I'm smiling a little here. Look up! See those clouds hanging there? Do you remember as a child how you'd look upwards and marvel at the sight of such beauty? The peaceful majesty of it? Sometimes I forget too.

You think this isn't real? It is you know... :-) It's as real as anything you've ever perceived, as any fond memory you've ever recalled. This place is real all right... and I'm showing it to you for a reason – to share it.

I've seen some amazing things it doesn't compare to those clouds above us right now... yet look around here. The sheer untrammeled beauty of the place. There is no comparison. All our best art ever does is try to recapture or interpret the original. This is the original! :-) But you know as I do that we all take this for granted. Because we see it around us all the time, the ability to marvel diminishes with familiarity. But that's just our perception... what changes is us.... not this beauty. This is immutable, even if our perception isn't.

You ever wondered why as people we make things over-complex? How we'll more readily believe in a conspiracy instead of a simple fact that's open to interpretation? I think religion is like that too. We make these things so complex. Look around you. Smell the clean air, listen to the birds singing. Feel the breeze. Bible, Koran, Torah... they all fall over themselves in their complexity. They're all complex truths constructed by us to help us understand. But we so easily forget how those clouds looked to us as children... and buy something else that's over-complex and even divisive. If they taught about Gaia in schools they'd have to recycle those books! *chuckles*

This place, this secret place. I wanted to share it with you because its special to me. Anytime you want to come you're welcome. But you know... it's your place too now. You can make it your own. And even if you don't visit again, it'll stay there in your minds eye, always waiting for you.

One last thought, while you can hear me and we're together in companionship. This last thought is simple. For everything that divides us, sets us apart, even makes us argue, makes us see things differently - there is so much more that binds us. So much more. But its like those clouds in the sky.... sometimes those things that are so familiar become invisible to us, and we no longer see them. But they never ever go away, its us. Our fault. We're the ones who are blind to those simple things. Sometimes even willfully so. But a different perception is only that, nothing more. Just a way of seeing a particular thing and sharing it.

And so, now, we can see only a screen and a keyboard again. And words. For a moment we were together though and saw through the same eyes. My special place. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed your company. You can do one last thing for me though, if you'd be so kind. If you've shared this place with me, and understood what I meant, add a comment to that effect. You see, I want to come back here and see who my companions were.......

1 comment:

Lisa Cookwitch said...

Reading this blog, your words...it's like you are transcribing directly from my own brain.